Under the Common Customs Law of the GCC countries, its Executive Regulations and Explanatory Note, and based on Part One of Chapter One of the ‘GCC Unified Guide for Customs Procedures at First Points of Entry’ concerning personal importation, the following procedures and controls are applicable:
Article (1) Controls
1. For personal import, the concerned party presents UAE ID, passport, or residency permit for customs procedures.
2. Customer shall obtain an ‘importer code’.
3. Consignment shall be of a personal nature and in non-commercial quantity.
4. Customer may not be a trade practitioner.
5. Customer shall submit permits and approvals from competent authorities required for restricted items.
6. Customs centers may demand translation of foreign invoices/documents into the Arabic language.
7. Authorized customs brokers may submit documents online to customs centers, on condition that they shall provide the customs department with the physical documents, if requested, before or after the release of goods.
8. Goods prohibited locally or internationally, or those subject to applicable international conventions or local regulations, as well as counterfeit goods or those in violation of applicable standards or IPR, may not be imported.
Article (2) Documents and Requirements
1. Delivery Order (for air or sea importation)
2. Bill of lading (for air or sea importation)
3. Manifest (for land importation)
4. Packing list for multiple items (several items, including HS codes and international codes for chemicals and hazardous materials).
Article (3) Procedures
1. An authorized customs broker shall create the customs declaration online.
2. All documents and requirements shall be presented to the customs center.
3. Goods shall be subject to inspection and examination based on risk criteria applicable in customs centers.
4. Gate pass is issued and goods released.
• Smuggling crimes and violations of the commercial import policy are subject to the fines stipulated for in the GCC Common Customs Law and its Executive Regulations.